Pictured here with the Wangaratta Agricultural Show Committee
Organisations across Indi will share $98,500 to support their COVID-19 recovery under the Australian Government’s Supporting Agricultural Shows and Field Days program.
Nationals Senate Leader and Senator for Victoria Bridget McKenzie said nine show societies will receive between $2600 and $15,000 each and the Rotary Club of Tallangatta will receive $2611 to assist in staging the Tallangatta Farming Expo.
“There is no doubt our North East communities have been dealt a tough hand in 2020, firstly the devastation of summer bushfires and then the extended state-wide shutdown because of COVID-19,” Senator McKenzie said.
“The show must go on and The Nationals in Government are proud to help make that happen by backing our iconic country ag shows and field days and this program will go some way to helping these small volunteer-run committees to plan for 2021.
“These events showcase the pinnacle and pride of local produce, often spanning generations of family tradition and know-how.
“From farmers, school kids and home cooking experts, to local ag businesses, volunteer groups and emergency services personnel – everyone loves their local show, it is often the major event on our community calendar.”
Indi Round one Supporting Ag Shows and Field Day grants recipients:
- Mansfield Agricultural and Pastoral Society Inc (Mansfield Show): $15,000
- Myrtleford and District Agricultural & Pastoral Society Inc (Myrtleford Show): $15,000
- Corryong & Upper Murray Agricultural & Pastoral Society Inc (Corryong Show): $2,698.51
- Benalla Agricultural & Pastoral Society Inc (Benalla Show): $14,851.70
- Euroa Agricultural Society Inc (Euroa Show): $10,000
- Alexandra Pastoral and Agricultural Association Inc (Alexandra Show): $10,000
- Rotary Club of Tallangatta Inc (Tallangatta Farming Expo): $2,611
- Wangaratta Agricultural Society Inc (Wangaratta Show): $9,317.55
- Rutherglen Agricultural Society Inc (Rutherglen Show): $9,090.91
- Yea Agricultural Pastoral & Horticultural Association Inc (Yea Show): $10,000
The Supporting Agricultural Shows and Field Days program was established to provide operational support for agricultural shows societies and organisers of agricultural field days forced to cancel their scheduled show or field day in 2020 because of COVID-19.
It is part of the $1 billion Relief and Recovery Fund, led by the Deputy Prime Minister, which is helping regions, communities and industry sectors disproportionately affected by COVID-19.