ROUND 5 OF THE MOBILE BLACK SPOT PROGRAM NOW OPEN
Friday, 5 April 2019
The Liberal and Nationals Government’s highly successful Mobile Black Spot Program is getting ready to expand mobile coverage to more communities in regional and remote areas with applications now open for Round 5.
Minister for Regional Services and Deputy Leader of The Nationals Bridget McKenzie, today released the Guidelines for Round 5 of the Program and called for applications to the competitive assessment process from mobile network operators and infrastructure providers.
Round 5 will be delivered as part of the Liberal and Nationals Government’s $160 million commitment to two new rounds of the Program, lifting our Government’s total funding to $380 million.
“This commitment is proof that we are listening to regional Australians, and responding to their communications needs,” said Minister McKenzie.
“So far, our Program is funding the delivery of 1047 new base stations and generating over $760 million of new investment in mobile infrastructure. I am thrilled that we are continuing to add to these impressive figures with a further two rounds of funding.”
“Round 5 will have a strong focus on improving coverage in our regions at important community centres, such as medical facilities, schools and economic hubs.”
Like previous rounds of the Program, Round 5 will encourage the mobile industry and state and local governments to work together to address mobile black spots across regional and remote Australia.
“I urge interested communities to contact the mobile network operators and state, territory and local government authorities to make their coverage issues known,” Minister McKenzie said.
Mobile network operators and infrastructure providers have until 26 July 2019 to submit their applications.
Applications will be assessed through a competitive process conducted by the Department of Communications and the Arts. For more information, visit: www.communications.gov.au/mbsp