The Nationals in Government supports the health and wellbeing of rural men with Men’s Sheds across Victoria to receive more funding.
A total of 135 Men’s Sheds nationally will share in $500,000 in grants under the latest round of funding,including those in Indi in north-east Victoria for:
- health and wellbeing seminars,first aid and OHS courses, protection equipment and a chemical storage cabinet at Rutherglen Men’s Shed ($3686);
- first aid training at King Valley Community Men’s Shed ($435); and
- a first aid kit and cabinet, materials and labour for LED workshop lighting at Yarrawonga Mulwala Men’s Shed ($3250).
On average, one in eight men will experience depression and one in five will experience anxiety at some stage of their lives. The number of men who die by suicide in Australia every year is nearly double the national road toll.
“Belonging to a social group is vitally important for emotional and mental health and for many the local Men’s Shed is an important place to meet up and participate in meaningful projects,”
Senator McKenzie said.
“To stay healthy, we need to do regular activities and stay connected with the people around us and this is why our local Men’s Shed has become an important part of rural Victorian
Since 2013, the Liberal-Nationals government has provided $4.92 million through the National Shed Development Program to support Men’s Sheds across Australia.
In this year’s budget, the government announced continued and expanded funding to support the Men’s Shed movement ($11.1 million over 4 years). It consists of:
- Funding to men’s sheds through the National Shed Development Program will be continued, and increased to $1 million per year for years ($4 million over 4 years);
- $1.5 million to fund regional coordinators at the grassroots level in each state and territory which aims to provide direct assistance in men’s shed;
- $3.6 million to the Australian Men’s Shed Association in supporting to support Sheds at a national level; AND
- $2 million to equip every Men’s Shed in Australia with a portable defibrillator.