Victoria’s 26,000 licenced duck hunters have been kept in limbo,
waiting on the Andrews Labor Government to set a date for the start of the 2016
Duck hunting season.
Nationals Senator for Victoria, Bridget McKenzie said there is no
excuse that the date for this year’s season hasn’t been announced.
“Shooters need to arrange transport and accommodation in duck
hunting regions, leaving it this late to inform them of the date for the start
of the season is not good enough”, she said.
The date can be set between the third Saturday in March and the
second Monday in June under the Wildlife (Game) Regulations.
“It’s up to the State Minister to decide the exact date, the daily
bag limits and season dates but so far there has been absolute silence from
“The sport is heavily regulated which shooters accept and they are
keen that duck hunting remains safe, sustainable, humane and equitable.
“But they deserve better
from this government who should immediately declare the date of the 2016
season”, Senator McKenzie said.
Senator McKenzie said it appears that the state government is
pandering to a minority of anti-shooters who ramp up their campaign annually to
ban the sport, with absolutely no justification.
“Last year, the date of the season was announced on the 14th
of January. The daily bag limit was reduced by half to five birds except on the
opening Saturday when it remained at ten.
“Hunting contributes $430 million to Victoria’s economy annually
and provides an estimated 1500 jobs, mostly in rural areas, so the importance
of the sport should not be under estimated.
“I call on the Minister Jaala Pulford to do the right thing by the
duck shooters of Victoria and to announce the season date now”, Senator