About Senator Bridget McKenzie
Proud and passionate about regional Australia, Bridget McKenzie is The Nationals Senator for Victoria.
Growing up in Victoria with the traditional rural influences of small business, sport and agriculture, Bridget is firm in her belief that strong regional economies and secure regional communities are critical to the future prosperity of our great nation.
Recognising small business is the backbone of many regional communities, Bridget wants to ensure they have every opportunity to prosper.
Her experiences as a secondary school teacher and university lecturer have fuelled Bridget’s passion for education and our youth. She is committed to improving opportunities for young Australians, no matter where they live.
Bridget’s penchant for research and evaluation fits well with her role in the Senate, where she is the Chair of the Senate Standing Committee on Education and Employment and an active member of the Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade and its Trade sub-committee.
A netball fan and general sports enthusiast, Bridget is proud to promote healthy, active lifestyles and community connectedness through grassroots activities.
As a senator dedicated to those who live and work outside the cities, Bridget has established her office in the regional centre of Victoria, Bendigo.
- Elected to the Senate for Victoria 2010 (term began 1.7.2011).
- The Nationals Whip in the Senate (September 2013 to June 2014).
- Senate Education and Employment Legislation Committee 13.11.13 to present. Chair from 26.6.14 to present.
- Senate Education and Employment References Committee 13.11.13 to present. Deputy chair from 26.6.14 to present.
- Senate Finance and Public Administration Legislation Committee from 13.11.13 to present
- Senate Community Affairs: Legislation and References Committees from 1.7.11 to 31.6.14
- Senate Education, Employment and Workplace Relations: Legislation Committee from 23.8.11 to 20.9.12 and References Committee from 23.8.11 to September 2013.
- Senate Environment and Communications: Legislation and References Committees from 1.7.11 to 20.9.12
- Joint Committee on Constitutional Recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples from 2.12.13 to present
- Joint Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 26.6.14 to present
- Joint Committee of Public Accounts and Audit from 26.6.14 to present
- Senate Standing Committee of Privileges from 13.11.13 to present
- Publications Committee from 13.11.13 to 26.6.14
- Appropriations and Staffing Committee from 13.11.13 to 26.6.14
- School Funding Committee from 18.3.14 to 3.3.14. Remains as participating member.
- Joint Committee on National Disability Insurance Scheme from 2.12.13 to 3.3.14
- Joint Standing: Parliamentary Library from 1.7.11
- Treaties from 12.9.11
- Junior Vice-President, The Nationals (Vic.) 2006-09.
Qualifications and Occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BAppSc (Human Movement), BTeach (Secondary)(Deakin).
- Lecturer, Faculty of Education, Gippsland Campus, Monash University 2009-10.
- Secondary mathematics and physical education teacher 2005-09.